Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Miami 70.3


Last week I made a trip to Miami this is the third time I have raced here. It was the second 70.3 race I ever did and the first course I broke 4 hours on. So it has a little more of a personal connection to me than other races.

Downtown Miami is an interesting place to try and train. Luckily I had an understanding of the area and new where to go do my biking and swimming. It was a little cooler than usual the day of the race, which was very nice since Miami can get really hot and sticky.

I had one of my best swim ever at this race. I never felt out of control and was with in reach of the leaders for the whole swim. It was the first time I have been able to see the lead paddler threw out the whole swim course. Even with the swim being long I exited the water just over 30 seconds down from the leader. I was able to have a very clean start that set me up in a good position around the first corner. With 55 pro men in the race it was very similar to the large groups of swimmers in ITU races. I was able to stay very relaxed for most of the swim and make moves when I needed to. Only on the last 300m did I start to feel labored. This definitely was a first for me and I look forward to repeating it.

I jumped onto the bike in about 11th place. I was in a position I have not been in before being so close to the lead swimmer. I was able to see the lead group and new that I needed to try and make my way up to them. That is were the medals were and I needed to be there. I pushed into a biking zone that I have not gone before and road one of my fastest times if not the fastest. But I still was not able to bridge the gap.
I entered into the run in 8th place and was just was not able to get my run legs going. I lost a couple of positions after a hard fought run and finished in 10th. It was not the result I was looking for but I will move onto the next one.
Next up will be 70.3 Austin on Oct 30. This will be the first time I have tried to race two 70.3 one week apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment