Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Mt. Trembalnt 70.3


Mt. Tremblant 70.3 was the last of my three race month. I really enjoy this event. Mt. Tremblant was my first podium in a 70.3 race and the race that showed me that I could thrive at the 70.3 distance. My pre race week was a little different going into this race, with TV interviews and sponsorship appearances. I think it is very important to give back to my fans as much I can, it makes Triathlon more exciting for every one.

The build up to the race was phenomenal about 5min from the start an F-16 did a fly by over the start. Setting the stage for the race!

The swim was fast with a few new swimmers in the mix. I was able to make my way out of the craziness of the start and moved into the lead of the chase group. The lead group slowly got a gap of about 90 seconds by the end of the swim but I was pleased with keeping it at that with some very strong swimmers like  John Rasmussen, Jarrod Shoemaker and Antoine Jolicoeur Desroches leading the charge. I exited the water with Trevor Wurtele, Chris Leiferman and Cody Beals on my feet. I was ready to give it all on the bike.


As the bike started it was clear that Trevor Wurtele, Cody Beals, Chris Leiferman and myself were going to be the main chase group. The race was playing out as I started to chew into the top swimmers lead. Lionel went by us at about 20km and  I rolled the disc, trying to go with him. I found that his pace was to hot for me and I had to let him go. I led the group as an official gave us splits to the other athletes up the road. We where brining them back slowly. At the 50km mark Trevor Wurtele made a move and I just could not react. For the next 20km I work very hard to bridge the little gap that had formed between the group and myself. I was able to reconnect at 70km but I was spent. I dropped back into my own pace to prepare for a solid run. I got off the bike in 7th place.
I worked my way through the run. I caught TJ Tollaksonn in the first 5km. I split the run up into 7km sections breaking the run in to thirds. I new that the run was going to be a war of hydration in the heat and I paced myself for it. By the 11km I had moved into 5th position. I dug deep to hold of 6th place while I tried to reach 4th. I was able to stay in 5th from the rest for the race and I am pleased with this result.

I will be taking a lot away from this race and applying it to my future events. Next up will be Ironman 70.3 Racine on July 17.

No comments:

Post a Comment