Friday, June 13, 2014

2013 recap

2013 was an exciting year with many ups and downs. It started with a few early season races in Clermont and Sarasota. They were nothing special but very important to prepare me for the bigger races later in the year.

Next race was in Mexico and after a long training camp in the Tuscan desert I was ready for the heat. The race was Huatulco World Cup with a 24% hill that we did 8 times. I came out of the water near the back of the field but was able to bike my way up to the chase pack. On the second last lap of the bike the heat and hard biking caught up with me and I was dropped on the hill. I was able to recover a little and run through some people. At the end of the day I was 20th.

A month later was the Canadian national Championships attached to the Edmonton World Cup. The race was a sprint with a very hilly bike and run course. Again I was near the back after the swim but was able to take advantage of the hills and bridge up to the main field. A crash occurred early in the bike taking out my teammate Andrew York. I was able to run my self into a 16th place finish in the race and claim 2nd place at the Canadian Elite National Championships. I also was the U23 Canadian National Champion.
Bridging Face or the wolf snarl 


My next race was in Spain for the Palamos World Cup. It was not a good day but I learned a lot racing in a 75 person field with some of the best swimmers in the sport. After the race I stayed in Spain for a month to train with the Canadian National team. It was very exciting and I learn a lot.

The rest of my season was spent racing in Canada. I went to Ottawa for the U23 Duathlon world Championships were I placed 6th. My teammate Connor Darlington placed 3rd. On the first run I was able to run with the chase pack. On the bike I did most of the work trying to bridge to the leaders and on the second run I was able to hold on for a 6th place finish.

After my Triathlon season was done I ran varsity Cross Country for McMaster University. The highlight of Cross Country was OUA (the Ontario University Championship). It was 1c and raining on race day making the the course a mud bath. After a cold and muddy 10km I finished 7th making the OUA All Star team. The team finished 2nd tying our best ever finish. Captain Blair Morgan led the team with a 6th place finish. I wrapped up my Cross Country career with CIS (The University National Champions) the team placed 4th which is the  best we have done in 10 years.

Muddy and Cold OUA
Finish with Captain Morgan 

No comments:

Post a Comment